Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tribal Sounds

I've come up with two beats that have three layers:
Layer 1: Four-on-the-floor quarter note bass drum pattern
Layer 2: Rhythm that has a 5 sixteenth-note phrase
Layer 3: Rhythm that has a 7 sixteenth-note phrase (The first track's pattern is a 7 eighth-note phrase)


When you put it all together you end up looping every 35th quarter note which sounds crazy!
Below are two examples (if you get lost, just focus on one hand and the kick):

        
These rhythms may just sound to you like a bunch of random hits, not very musical. I made them up and spent time training myself to play those rhythms because conceptually I find them interesting, and I find learning challenging beats pleasurable - its like learning to ride a bike - at first I can only go a few notes before I mess up, but after a while of intense practice I can play the whole pattern as long as I'd like, and I can even start exploring different aspects, for example a shuffle feel or adding ghost notes. The consequence is that I'm now comfortable with phrases of 5 and 7 over 4 (note that I'm not playing in 5/4 or 7/8, I'm just playing phrases, repeated patterns of eighth or sixteenth notes over 4/4 time), so time to time I find myself naturally tapping rhythms that have this odd feel; for example, I think it does sound musical to put this phrase of 7 eighth notes over a 4/4 baiao pattern with my feet (both videos are the same, just from different angles):

No comments:

Post a Comment