Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Start Co-op Housing at Ohio State!

Left - Happy cooperative living at Loth
Right - It costs $300 to escape Bowles, and worth every penny
UPDATE 8/28: I made a student organization and have a website now!

I lived all over the place during my undergrad:
Bowles, Fall '07
Stebbins, Spring '08
Went home to Santa Barbara, Summer '08
Kingman, Fall '08 - Summer '09
Padova, Italy, Fall '09
Lothlorien,  Spring '10 - Summer '10
Cloyne, Fall '10 - Spring '11

That's a total of 4 different co-ops, and I loved all of them.
I didn't start out in a co-op though; I started out in Bowles, the university-run all male dorm, and although I did my best to look on the bright side, I really despised the place. Then my sister's friend suggested that I try out the co-ops, and I took her suggestion: I paid my $300 dorm cancelation fee, and moved into Stebbins for my second semester freshman year. Stebbins was the best thing that ever happened to me that semester. The energy, style of living, wild parties, great food, it all just rocked my world. I was hooked, and tried out as many co-ops as I could. Which was my favorite? To me they're all equally awesome but in different ways - I love the food at Cloyne, the sensuality at Loth, the roofdeck at Kingman, etc.

So now I'm in Columbus Ohio, home to 55,000 students and 0 student housing cooperatives at Ohio State.
The idea is running through my head, "you should start a co-op at OSU!", but in reality I'm going to be focusing on school and won't have time. Starting a co-op would be a full commitment, and school is a full commitment, and the jack of all trades is a master of none. Maybe I'll start a Facebook page, "If There Was Co-op Housing At OSU I'd Join!" or maybe "Start Co-op Housing at OSU!", and drum up support for the idea and go from there.

Okay, I made the Facebook group,
Start Co-op Housing at OSU!





No comments:

Post a Comment